The roof is an element of the house that, in addition to complementing the architecture, plays a significant role in the construction. It is an element that must be carefully planned, taking into account the structure of the house, aesthetics, and also the materials used in its elaboration. There are several ways and different materials that can be used in the construction of a roof. Today guardian home services talk a bit about these possibilities.
Types Of Structures
To define the materials used in the construction of your roof, it is essential to consider some factors such as the architecture of your home, the type of roof that will be built, and the load that it will have to bear. All of these factors must be dimensioned by the architect at the design stage. Roof structures can be constructed in 3 types of materials: wood, concrete, and metal.
Apparent Roof (Waters)
The apparent roofs are those of classic appearance where they configure one or more inclined planes that extend over the construction, forming eaves over the facades. One or more waters can form these roofs; that is, they can have different inclined planes “falling” in different directions on the construction. Water plays an essential role in construction, as it directs rainwater in different directions over the terrain.
They are often used in houses of more modern architecture or when you want to save a little with the elaboration of a roof. They are characterized by having plat bands that hide the roof inside. Therefore, the cover itself can be built less aesthetically, considering that it will be hidden. Still, it must have an efficient water drainage system to prevent infiltrations and puddles of rainwater.
This type of roof is characterized by using only the slab as a roof. It is a more economical way of covering the house since it saves on constructing more elaborate structures and tiles. For this type of roof, it is essential to take into account an excellent waterproofing and thermal insulation system since it will be directly exposed to the actions of the weather and may interfere with the climate of the house or cause infiltration or damage to the structures if it has poor construction.
Materials For Covering Your Roof
As we mentioned earlier at https://www.guardianhome.com/tacoma-roofing/, the ideal type of tile for your roof must be determined according to the type of roof, the structure of the house, and the aesthetics desired for its construction. We can use different materials to cover the roof, the most common of which are:
- Ceramics: It is the type of tile most used in making apparent roofs with one or more waters. In addition to providing a beautiful look, offering different architectural possibilities, they act as a thermal barrier keeping the property’s temperature pleasant.
- PVC: PVC offers numerous possibilities for covering the roof, with a wide variety of colors. It is a light and resistant material and also has excellent sealing.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate also has some colors, the most interesting being the translucent version, as it allows light to pass through. This feature makes it an excellent option for covering environments where natural light is desired.
- Glass: Like polycarbonate, they are ideal for allowing light to pass through some house regions. An attractive option to use is combining with other types of tiles.
- Fiber cement: It is a material as used as ceramic and offers an excellent cost-benefit ratio. It is a light and resistant material, which allows saving on the structure’s construction since it does not need to be so reinforced.
- Zinc: Zinc tiles are made of steel and then receive a layer of zinc to withstand the elements. They are resistant, light, and easy to handle besides and present a more accessible value.