All About the Australian Partner Visas

Finding an Australian visa can be a challenging task in itself. Whether you’re planning to apply for one or are already in the middle of the process, finding relevant information can be overwhelming.

The steps are complicated and too many for all the long-distance couples or those with an Australian partner who wish to apply for a partner visa. However, there is good news for everyone anticipating their partner visas.

This article will give you insights on a partner visa in Victoria. Read ahead to know all the details!

What Are the Different Subclasses for Australian Partner Visas?

Here’s some good news for couples applying for a partner visa in Victoria – the Australian government prioritises the processing of such visas. More and more resources at the Department of Home Affairs focus on processing partner visas.

The subclasses of the visas depend largely on your relationship and the location where you apply from.

  1. Temporary or permanent 

As mentioned earlier, the subclass is dependent on whether your visa is temporary or permanent and the location where it is applied from.

When you apply for a visa, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection assesses it under “combined application”. So, your visa application will be assessed under both the criteria – temporary and permanent.

Depending on which criteria you meet, you will be issued an appropriate visa by the department. Applicants who provide proof that they have been married or have been in a committed relationship with their partner of Australian origin for a minimum period of three years will be eligible for a permanent visa. It is valid for five years.

Those with less than three years will be granted a temporary visa.

  1. Onshore or offshore

The subclasses vary on your location. So, it matters if you’re applying from overseas or from Australia itself. Partners visa subclasses 820 and 801, which are temporary and permanent, respectively, can only be applied from Australia.

If, for instance, you wish to apply from another country, then you need to refer to partner visa subclasses 309 and 100, which are Provisional and Migrant, respectively.

  1. Married or de facto relationship or prospective marriage

There are different categories for different types of partners. The visa department allows couples who are not necessarily married but in a de facto relationship to apply for a partner visa in Australia.

Under the de facto relationship, your relationship must have existed for a minimum period of 12 months before applying for the visa. This de facto relationship can be with someone of different or the same sex.

A Prospective Marriage visa or a fiancé visa is valid for nine months, allowing the partner or the couple to come to the country to marry an Australian citizen. Usually, couples who do not qualify as having a de facto relationship go for this visa.

After marrying their Australian partner, the visa holder must apply for subclass 820 and 801, that is, temporary and permanent visas, respectively, before the Prospective Marriage visa goes invalid.

Final Thoughts

If you’re looking forward to spending the rest of your life with your better half, who happens to be an Australian citizen, then it’s sensible to apply for a partner visa in Victoria.

You may have to research well before you deep-dive into the process. Go through the points mentioned above to ensure you don’t make any mistakes while applying for the visa.